Money Saving Tips

The #1 thing people always ask me is how can you afford so many trips ?! 😨


Well definitely you need a source of income to be able to travel but what I always find helpful is using the following tips to save cost before and during my vacations:

1. Booking flights

Some people may beg to differ but I find the best time to find the cheapest flights are on Tuesday or Wednesday evenings. It is also known that the cheapest days to travel are during the weekdays.


I personally use specific websites for booking flights as although they are third party websites, they determine the cheapest flights with most airlines.


The top websites I use for flights are: skyscanner.ca or expedia.ca


All inclusive vacations: tripcentral.ca or selloffvacations.com (there are walk-in locations across Canada as well).


Also, for all of you that live in Toronto or nearby, I follow YYZdeals.ca - sign up for their email alert on cheap flights all around the world.


There are always cheap flight deals around specific holidays as well such as Black Friday, Boxing Day, etc.


Lastly, if you have time and are open to a stop over, connecting flights are usually significantly cheaper.


2. Accommodations
Let me start by saying that I have honestly never used Air BnB as when I started my traveling journey it was not a "thing" yet. But I have heard both good/bad reviews from numerous people; I have been told that Air BnB is a cheaper option for accommodations, people have also shared with me that hosts have cancelled the day of their reservations, which could definitely cause issues when you are traveling.


I will definitely give Air B&B a try and fill you in at a later date !!


An option that I am open to also but have yet to experience is a hostel. I have been told that hostels are very cheap and a great way of meeting people, especially if you are traveling solo!


 I have used VRBO once, which was great as we were a group of 10 people renting a cottage. Another option similar to VRBO is HomeAway but I have not used it as of yet.


I personally prefer to stay in a cheap hotel when traveling solo but when traveling with others we usually get a nicer hotel as we are splitting the cost.


My favorite hotel website is: booking.com - this site has been a life saver for me because you can select no prepayment and free cancellation just in case you are exploring other accommodation options. (*** Make sure to change to the currency to your country as it is a USA website)


I also use Expedia or RedTag from time to time as well.


Another way to save on accommodation costs is to stay with family and/or friends or to simply travel with someone or a group to all save on accommodations.


3. Packing 
This is probably what can cost you the most during traveling - CHECKING IN A LUGGAGE.


The only time I EVER check in luggage is when I have already paid for it within an all inclusive vacation package.


Not checking a luggage can save you 25-80$ on your travels. I only travel with a backpack and a carry on suitcase. (Yes it is possible lol)


I use to over pack and by the end of my trips, I would not even have worn half of the outfits I packed.  I have learned to only pack necessities, plan my outfits (I check the weather prior to leaving) and take advantage of bringing a back pack (which you can put under the seat in front of you on the plane).


Another trick I find helpful is using packing cubes, which will help you save space in your suitcase. You can buy them on amazon or at your local Walmart/Winners/Marshalls.


Most of the time, if I plan to be shopping on vacation, I pack less so I have space for the items on the way back.


I will include my "go to packing list" in a separate post which you can use as a guide.


4. Transportation 
While traveling, I always like to take advantage of using public transportation where possible such as a local bus, train (subway) or other methods. Usually in most places I have traveled, the bus costs from .50 to 2$ USD each way which can help with saving costs. I also enjoy walking that way I can stumble across areas. Let's face it sometimes renting a car is not always the best option if attractions are nearby. When renting a car in certain places you have to keep in mind the rental fee, gas and parking prices.


Do not get me wrong, I do take taxis, UBER and Lyft services but I usually use these methods of transportation at night to hit the town, to/from airport depending on where I am staying or if I am in a hurry to be somewhere!


Furthermore, numerous hotels offer airport shuttles - check out the hotels website or call them directly prior to your trip.


It would be important to check out the various ways to travel to and from your hotel/destinations prior to leaving as well as if it is your first time traveling to that specific location.

5. Food 

Prior to traveling, I always like to check out reviews on restaurants that offer the tastiest but cheapest meals. In some countries, it is also cool to eat street food or check out food trucks which usually tastes the best ! But because I am a foodie (LOL), I enjoy checking out a few restaurants for seafood, pasta, etc.


Also when booking accommodations only, I usually aim for those who have breakfast included to save on purchasing meals during the day.


I usually pack snacks too for the plane and to have throughout the day when I am exploring :)


I hope these money saving tips are helpful to you for your next trip and save you a dollar so you can travel more! πŸ˜€


- Kish

Comments

  1. Thanks you so much for sharing such a beneficial information. It adds to my knowledge that how can I save my money during Travel. It will also be helpful to the other visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could help you both !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Solo Traveling Tips

Welcome to Travel Niche Kish πŸ’—